Yes, it’s that time again: My birthday. Sharing 32 things for 32 years was fun last year, so I’m going to the same this year. So without further ado, here are
33 Things About Me That You May Not Be Able to Easily Deduce From Reading my Blog:
- I’m very quiet. That’s why blogging is perfect for me. I can get my thoughts out without having to verbally say anything.
- Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve had loads of ideas for this post. Now that I’m writing it, I can’t think of a single one.
- I never did finish reading the Dragon Tattoo series I was working at the time of last year’s birthday post. I got halfway through the second book and then had some other things come up that I either had to read or was more interested in. Recently I’ve been interested in some of the classics that are free or cheap on Kindle. (Currently The Invisible Man by HG Wells. Up next is The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stephenson.)
- Also on my to-read list this summer is The Book Thief. I mentioned wanting to see the movie, and Will saw the book at Goodwill and picked it up for me.
- My favorite flowers are carnations and daffodils. Those are my mom’s favorites too, so we always had them around when I was growing up. That’s probably why they’re my favorites!
- Will remembered this last year when he was buying perennials to plant in our front yard. I’d forgotten that one of the plants was a carnation. Imagine my pleasure when it started blooming this spring!
- I’m ambidextrous. But not in the “I can do everything equally well with either hand” way. In the “I use both hands equally but for different tasks” way.
- I hate listening to music in the car. I find it oppressive because you can’t get away.
- When I was kid, my dad gave me a big box of fireworks for my birthday. Every. Single. Year.
- My church is completely bilingual, English and Spanish.
- In addition to sewing and crocheting, I’ve recently rekindled my love of embroidery. That was my first experience with crafty things as a child, but I hadn’t done it in years. Last week, I picked up a new project and have really enjoyed it.
- I taught the boys, too. And they love it too. Embroidery has been much better for them than crocheting or cross-stitching was.
- For my wedding in 2001, I embroidered and made ring bearer pillows. They were done to match the bedding we had chosen – ferns and pinecones.
- We didn’t end up having any ring bearers, but the pillows still graced our bed for years.
- We did not live together before we were married.
- One of my favorite possessions is the teddy bear that Will gave me for Christmas the first year we were together (1998). It is still on my bed today.
- I recently made a fresh batch of cloth diapers for Small Fry. The elastic in the yellow ones had worn out.
- This time, I embraced his boy-ness and made them with dinosaurs.
- I don’t really like having pets. We have a frog, and that’s about all Will and I are interested in. Nothing that wanders the house getting in the way.
- This policy comes from a cat we had about 5 years ago. Its name was Caesar and it was an awful cat.
- We don’t have a TV. We watch shows and movies on our Kindle Fire. In the winter, we have fires in the fireplace and talk at night.
- Our current house is the first time we’ve had non-white walls. I like the color!
- I keep my hair short because I don’t like having my neck covered (unless it’s by a scarf in the winter).
- I think ceiling fans are dumb. They don’t cool a room, and running them causes them to gather more dust than not running them in my experience.
- My favorite kind of pen is a refillable gel pen. I currently own two.
- My boys love art, so I recently made them each an “art bag.” This is a small-ish messenger style bag designed to hold a sketch pad, pencil, and reading book.
- Will liked them so well that he wanted one too, so I made him one. He uses his for paper, pens, and his Bible, and uses it mostly when he goes to book signings or church.
- I love elephants. They are hands-down my favorite animal.
- I got to ride one a couple of years ago, right before I was pregnant with Small Fry. That was one of the neatest experiences I’ve ever had.
- We didn’t find out the gender of Seahawk or Munchkin before birth. We did with Small Fry, and if/when we have another baby, I’m definitely going back to the not-finding-out way.
- My favorite guilty pleasure shows are Breaking Bad and Dexter. Both have really nasty anti-heroes, but both are really good shows.
- Will recently got me into Mad Men too. He’s been watching it for years, and now we’re watching it from the beginning together.
- I have dimples. They’re not super noticeable, but they are there. Munchkin and Small Fry have inherited these. Theirs are both deeper than mine, especially Munchkin’s.
So there you have it. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this list as much as I’ve enjoyed putting it together.